Amer Abu Zaytoon is the fourth Palestinian to be killed by Israeli forces in the occupied West Bank this year.

Ramallah, occupied West Bank – According to the Palestinian Health Ministry, Israeli forces shot dead a Palestinian child during an attack on the occupied West Bank city of Nablus.

Sixteen-year-old Amer Abu Zaytoon was shot in the head on Thursday morning, according to the ministry.

Abu Zaytoon is the fourth Palestinian to be killed by Israeli forces in the West Bank this year, after more than 170 people were killed in the area and occupied East Jerusalem last year. His death comes after another Palestinian child, 15-year-old Adam Ayyad, was killed by Israeli forces on Tuesday.

Israeli special forces raided the Balata refugee camp in Nablus early Thursday, sparking clashes with armed fighters.

According to Nablus-based journalist Bakr Abdelhaq, Abu Zaytoon was shot dead while walking through the camp and encountered Israeli special forces.

“It is difficult to know exactly what happened because these things happen at night and in the narrow alleys of the camp,” Abdelhaq told Al Jazeera.

Local media outlets have shared what they believe to be surveillance cameras film material Showing Abu Zaytoon walk then run in the moments before he was killed. Al Jazeera could not independently verify the footage.

Israeli police said armed Palestinians fired on a joint group of soldiers, border police and intelligence agents who raided Balata. The Israeli forces then shot “an armed individual, who fired at the armed forces at close range,” police claimed.

At least two other Palestinians were injured after being hit with live ammunition during the raid, and two were arrested.

“There were armed confrontations. They besieged the house of former prisoner Hassan Araysheh and then raided and beat relatives before arresting him,” said Abdelhaq.

The developments are the result of an ongoing Israeli military campaign intensified raids and killings that have lasted almost a year.

According to the United Nations, 2022 will be the deadliest year for Palestinians in the occupied West Bank since 2006.

Last year’s deaths included more than 30 children and at least 9,000 other Palestinians injured.

Israeli forces have killed civilians who confronted them in raids, uninvolved bystanders, as well as Palestinian fighters in targeted killings and during armed clashes.

While Israel has made regular incursions into the occupied West Bank, its forces have intensified the policy after a series of Palestinian attacks last March. Throughout the year, more than 30 people were killed in attacks by Palestinians.



Source link

By wy9m6

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *