Fatshark’s co-op Ogryn party simulator Warhammer 40,000: Darktide has been in pre-order beta for just under a week, and in that time players have been pointing out several issues. Chief among those problems: crashes. While I’ve been lucky that Darktide only crashed on me twice, many others found it less stable.
The patch notes (opens in new tab) For version 1.0.7, identify six different types of crashes that have now been removed: matchmaking crashes, alt-tabbing crashes in a cutscene, out-of-bounds crashes, crashes caused by starting a mission with a specific feat equipped, crashes caused by certain weapon traits and multiple crashes caused by the Beast of Nurgle. As if we didn’t already have enough reasons to hate Beasts of Nurgle already.
Fatshark says that while many of the causes of crashes have been addressed, “there is one major category of crashes that manifests as ‘GPU hangs’ that will probably still show its ugly face. That said, we’re at a good trajectory to have a stable game at the time of release, thanks in large part to the many players who help us provide the required data to address these issues.” Together, we all do our part to serve the graphics card empire.
In terms of new features added by this update, the big one is Oska Krall the Barber-Surgeon. This blood-spattered member of the Mourningstar’s crew can be found in the hub, offering the chance to get back to customizing characters and tinkering with your face, hair, scars, and tattoos. If you start to regret that hanging mustache or want to roll full Ogryn-Orson Welles (opens in new tab), now you can finally get rid of it. Although Krall lists a price, it’s currently free to customize your appearance.
This update also brings with it a large honking block of text in the top left corner of the screen that reads “Pre-Order Beta Test November 17-29, 2022.” Presumably it’s there to help the many players who pre-ordered Darktide so they could play the beta and then were confused by the fact that it is a beta. Emperor save us.
As for balance changes, the Psyker is still being reworked after a nerf from the first beta was poorly received. The final change removes the Peril cost of thrusting with the power sword, while slightly reducing the range. “However, there is still a cost of risk in the push-follow-up,” says Fatshark, “which should help balance the ability to override the staggered reduction.”
Some weapons have been improved, making infantry autoguns, shredder autopistols, and Ogryn bully clubs more valuable choices. The attack properties of ranged minions have been adjusted, as well as the spawn rate. Now, says Fatshark, “Locking the powers of chaos into melee should be a little smoother while suppressing some of the more insane spikes in tempo.”
Finally, rescued or revived is now shown in third person, and a bug I never saw caused “several issues where the third person character’s head, when you look straight down, spins and rotates 180 degrees. ” is solved.
If you want to read more, here are the full notes:
- Fixed a significant number of crashes – matchmaking crashes on both server and client.
- Fixed stuck in position 1 queue issue
- Addressed many of the lack of XP in progress issues
- Fixed crashes that could occur when tapping out while watching a movie
- Fixed crashes when a player fell out of bounds
- Fixed issues in the credit store where it was impossible to buy things with in-game currency
- Fixed issues where the third-person camera would follow the player if they fell out of bounds.
- Fixed issues where the Tigrus Mk II Heavy Eviscerator’s damage stats were not working as intended, the damage defaulted to 50%. Now the damage should scale correctly.
- Fixed issues where the start animation of a heavy attack with the Thunder Hammer could freeze.
- Fixed multiple crashes caused by the Beast of Nurgle.
- Fixed crashes that could occur when leaving the Mourningstar to go on a mission while holding a specific ability.
- Fixed crashes that could occur with certain weapon attributes.
- Fixed issues where a player could complete the “up close and personal” penalty without meeting the correct criteria.
- Fixed issues where Veteran Marksman’s ‘Covering Fire’ was not working correctly.
- Fixed issues where Zealot’s talent descriptions didn’t match what they actually do.
- Fixed several issues where the third person character’s head rotates 180 degrees and rotates when looking straight down.
- Fixed an issue where players would sometimes spawn with both weapons in hand.
- Fixed an issue where Ogryn’s grenade crate collided with the primary weapon on block.
- Fixed an issue with the armory where the inventory could occasionally be prematurely refreshed before the timer would have expired.
- Added codes to display next to errors.
- Fixed an issue where the “Toughness Damage Reduction” effects were not working compared to melee damage. (both talents and coherence effects)
- Fixed an issue where Zealot talent “Regain Toughness in Melee” was not activating correctly.
- Rebalancing / gameplay tweaks
- Veteran talent balancing step, bleeding.
- Diligent talent balance pass, toughness and bleed updates.
- Adjusted Ogryn balance pass and grenade amounts.
- Ogryn club, attack combo adjusted. Increased damage values against certain enemy types.
- Ogryn shovel increased mobility
- Adjusted pace with enemy characters, hordes and spawns
- Additional Psyker gameplay tweaks, including the removal of “push” charges for the Force Sword
- Bump up for autoguns and automatic pistols
- Adjusted attack characteristics of Ranged Minions
- Player interactions
- Changed revive/rescue/pullup states to 3rd person
- Floor of customization
- Surgeon of the Mourningstar added