Rwanda’s defense ministry said an unidentified man opened fire in Rubavu district before being shot dead.

Rwanda’s defense ministry said an unidentified soldier, believed to be from the Congolese army, was killed on Saturday after crossing the border and firing at local security forces.

At about 1 am local time (23:00 GMT), the man crossed the “petite barriere”, the border between Goma in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Rwanda, into the Rubavu district before firing at the Rwanda Defense Force (RDF) watchtowers, the ministry said in a statement.

“He was shot dead by RDF patrols before taking casualties,” the statement said.

Congolese officials said the identity of the dead man was not known, but not a single Congolese soldier on duty in the area had been reported missing, the AFP news agency reported.

The incident comes as rebels from the M23 group – which has been fighting the Congolese government for a decade – have made significant gains in recent weeks and are advancing on Goma as the fighting intensifies.

DRC accuses Rwanda of supporting M23, but Rwanda has always denied the accusation.

M23 has waged several offensives in eastern DRC this year, with clashes between the army and rebels leading to the displacement of thousands of civilians since March.

Regional powers are working to ease relations between Rwanda and the DRC. Kenya’s former president Uhuru Kenyatta and Rwanda’s president Paul Kagame agreed on Friday on the need for M23 rebels to ceasefire and withdraw from conquered territories in eastern DRC, the East African Community bloc said.

A second round of peace talks will take place in the Angolan capital Luanda next week.



Source link

By wy9m6

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *